URSB graft: Mustapher Ntale takes over from Kainobwiso as registrar general

By Nasser Kayanja

KAMPALA.The Deputy Registrar General Mustapher Ntale has taken charge of the Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) after government sent five senior officials on forced leave to clear the way for investigations ordered by President Museveni.

Justice and Constitutional Affairs Minister Norbert Mao, in an August 12 letter, said Ntale, the Deputy Registrar General in charge of Registries, would perform the functions of Registrar General and oversee interim appointments during the investigation.

“During this period Mustapher Ntale, Deputy Registrar General – Registries, will perform the functions of the office of the Registrar General and will assign relevant officers to act in the positions of the officers who have been sent on mandatory leave,” Mao said.

Those affected are Registrar General Mercy K. Kainobwisho; Deputy Registrar General Alex Anganya; Commissioner for ICT and Innovation Arthur Kwesiga; Commissioner for Registration Services Gilbert Agaba; and Assistant Commissioner for Registration Services Walid Kule.

Their mandatory leave took effect on August 17 and will remain in force until further notice.

The shake-up follows a July 24 directive by Museveni ordering an audit into allegations of embezzlement of government funds, abuse of office, maladministration, money laundering and institutional mismanagement at URSB.

Museveni directed the Inspector General of Government to lead the investigation with support from State House auditors.

Mao said the officials were being removed temporarily to protect the integrity of the investigation.

“Your going on mandatory leave is to ensure the integrity of the investigations and you will remain on leave until the investigations are complete,” he said.

The action has since escalated. On August 18, Inspector General of Government Lady Justice Naluzze Aisha Batala directed Mao to interdict Kainobwisho and instructed the URSB Board chairperson to interdict Anganya, Kwesiga and Kule pending completion of the investigations.

The IGG said the suspensions were necessary to prevent interference with the probe and ensure it proceeds in the public interest.

The presidential intervention followed governance and corruption concerns raised by Agaba, who alleged inflation of ICT contracts, misappropriation of URSB funds, irregular procurements, fraudulent registrations, weak financial controls and revenue under-collection.

Agaba has also disputed disciplinary proceedings previously brought against him, saying they followed his decision to raise the concerns.

The crisis has unfolded against the backdrop of deep internal divisions at URSB. Sources familiar with the institution have described intense infighting among senior officials over jobs, management decisions and control of budgets.

URSB has confirmed that an audit is underway but has disclosed little about its scope, saying only that it is being conducted in accordance with established procedures and applicable laws.

The Bureau has assured businesses and the public that services remain uninterrupted.

Ntale now assumes day-to-day leadership of one of Uganda’s key business regulatory agencies as the IGG-led investigation examines the conduct of senior management and the Bureau’s financial and administrative systems.

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *